Objects in « wood of Saint Lucia »
The name « Bois de Sainte Lucie » originates from a convent of Minimes, Saint-Lucie-du-Mont, located on the heights of Sampigny-en-Meuse near Nancy. The forest that surrounds the convent gave its name to the wood that was used in the 17th century to make religious objects (crucifixes, holy water fonts, statuettes…), a production of toilet objects as well as a multitude of accessories. of an infinite variety (boxes, frames, candle holders, tobacco rasps…). It was in the middle of the second half of the 17th century that artists from Lorraine, mostly from Nancy, began to use the « bois de Sainte lucie », a soft wood, golden red with a fine grain similar to cherry wood, to make these precious objects with refined carvings close to the work of the goldsmiths of that time.
They are called « Bagard wood » from the name of the line of sculptors who launched the fashion for these highly ornate pieces. Cesar Bagard (1620-1709) is one of those great Nancy sculptors of the 17th century, he is the author of religious statues and he also made small boxes in « Saint Lucia wood ».
Dimensions: W 8.5 H 2.3 D 4.5