Signed VW Between 1787-1833
On a rockery base, in blue, white and gold, a bouquet of disheveled flowers takes flight. On a natural terrace, a young boy plays with his dog, using the codes of painting dear to Jacob van Loo or Jean-Baptiste Greuze
On the right and on the left two ink cups closed with rockery-shaped lids. In the center a rockery shell basin for wax sticks, feathers…
A very beautiful inkwell symbolizing fidelity, affection, taking up the values of the dog.
The dog is, by nature, a social animal, which grows within a litter and learns from an early age to come into contact with its peers. Very quickly, he reproduces this pattern with the man by being faithful to him and needs these repeated contacts in order to develop his skills and his qualities.
According to the dictionary of symbols, the dog is linked to an elemental trinity earth, water and moon, both in the unconscious domain and for the subconscious. His main role is that of psychopomp, “man’s guide during the night of death after having been his companion during the day of life. In churches it can also be seen at the foot of the figures represented on a cenotaph. In this case it symbolizes loyalty.
In this porcelain piece, for a desk or a secretary, this dog therefore symbolizes fidelity, loyalty and the truth of the words that will be written.
For memory :
Wallendorf porcelain is one of the oldest factories in Thuringia, in central Germany. It is located in Lichte/Wallendorf, south of the Thuringian Forest. Its foundation dates back to 1764
The history of this region is marked by the tradition of porcelain production for more than two hundred years.
Originally, Wallendorf porcelain was produced with raw materials from the surrounding lands, so the shard was not clean but stained. As early as 1780, we succeeded in firing absolutely white shards by purchasing and using Bohemian kaolin. This is what led Wilhelm Martius to say of Wallendorf porcelain in 1793: “It is perfectly white, finely ground and so hard that it sparks on steel. » Until 1833, the company was owned by the Hammann family
Some small gears on the lids of the inkwells.
H 22 W28 D19 cm