Plates (set of five) from the Frankenthal factory decorated with small flower fires, ribbon medallion and crowned F monogram placed on a cloud. XVIII century. Carl Theodor Period Around 1761.
This service may have been commissioned by the princely family of Fürstenberg, which descended from German nobles, owners of numerous territories and castles. The Principality of Fürstenberg is located in the southern part of what is now Baden-Württemberg. The family shared multiple territories, including the reunion of the different counties with the principality of Fürstenberg-Heiligenberg in a single principality, that of Fürstenberg-¨Fürstenberg took place in 1716.
The hard porcelain technique was discovered in Saxony, at Meissen. A scholar, E. W. von Tschirnhaus, noting the impotence of J. F. Böttger, alchemist prisoner of Augustus II the Strong, to produce gold, had the idea of using his services in search of a way to earn money. gold by making real porcelain
The Frankenthal Porcelain Manufactory It was an important German porcelain factory active in Frankenthal in the Palatinate between 1755 and 1799.
The Frankenthal factory was founded by the Hannong family who had been manufacturing Strasbourg porcelain until 1755, when Louis XIV of France imposed a porcelain monopoly in favor of the Sèvres royal factory. Paul Hannong moved to Frankenthal, in the Electorate Palatine of the Rhine with his workers, where he obtained a privilege Elector Carlo Teodoro. manufacturing It was installed in the barracks dragoons. In 1757 They were also hired craftsmen from Meissen and 1759 Hannong managed to open a shop in Strasbourg.
During the years from 1762 to 1770 they were extremely prosperous: the products reached a high level of quality and the Manufacture an excellent reputation. From 1770 the pieces have been dated. From 1774 the paste was made with local kaolin, often mixed with « passau earth ». From 1776, stores were opened in Aachen, Basel, Frankfurt, Livorno, Mainz, Monaco of Bavaria and Nancy. The style was generally rococo with a preference for the color purple
During the Napoleonic Wars Frankenthal was occupied by French troops in 1799 and production ceased. The factory was officially closed the following year by decree of ‘Elector of Bavaria to which the Palatinate had been attached in the meantime.