Stanislas V. LEPINE pupil of COROT Oil on Panel 19th century
His work is divided into small sketches, often painted on small panels, and large salon paintings concocted in the studio, often measuring up to 110 x 170 cm. He also painted many medium-sized canvases such as the View of the Pont de Sèvres from the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum.
In his landscapes in which the human figure is often practically excluded or reduced to the status of a pictogram, he is in line with the poetic evocations of Camille Corot, but transplanted into a contemporary and urban setting.
His palette is also lighter than that of the painters of the Barbizon school. He plays with delicate gray tones that are enough for him to accurately note the quality of light and he is one of those with Eugène Boudin, Adolphe-Félix Cals and Johan Barthold Jongkind, who prepare the way for the Impressionists.
For memory :
Stanislas Victor Edmond Lépine, born October 3, 1835 in Caen (Calvados) and died September 28, 1892 in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, was a French landscape painter who painted Paris and the Seine extensively, as well as Normandy.
He began his artistic career in the manner of the marine painter Johan Barthold Jongkind and specialized in the rendering of nautical views such as the Sailboats of the harbor of Caen.
He moved to Paris in 1855 in Montmartre and spent his whole life there.
In 1859 he made his debut at the Salon where he exhibited until 1880. He then presented Port de Caen, Moonlight Effect. In 1860, he undertook a more professional apprenticeship in the studio of Jean Baptiste-Camille Corot, from whom he copied certain paintings. He then met Henri Fantin-Latour (1836-1904)
Having become a friend of Corot, living apart from the official environment, it is thanks to the support of Count Doria that he can continue to paint. With Adolphe-Félix Cals, the count takes them under his protection, and welcomes them in his castle of Orrouy.
With Corot, he developed a personal style, halfway between the pastoral spirit of his master’s compositions, and the atmospheric landscapes of the Impressionists: La Rue Saint Vincent, circa 1875 (Musée d’Orsay), Montmartre in 1878, and Paris, the 1880 Pont des Arts.
He regularly participated in the Salon of French artists from 1881 to 1889. His talent was finally recognized in 1884 when he obtained an « honorable mention » at the Salon. For the painting La Seine à l’Estacade, exhibited at the Salon of 1885, he made many small preparatory canvases that can be found today at the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, at the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena10 and in a private collection.